Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Rest of the Upper Skins






Attached and then riveted the outboard and middle upper skins. All went very well. Then started with the left wing doubler. If one follows the instructions, the fit is very good. I attached it and removed it about 3 times. In the end, I used the edge rolling tool on the doubler surface that contacts the bottom wing panel. This gave me a very nice fit. Do not try to reshape the doubler bend. I tried it and had to remove the bend. Follow the instructions with regard to cleco'ing the doubler at the bottom and add clecos working up and aft. This worked very well, did not have to use straps to pull it in place as others have suggested. Then installed the access cover for the the stall warning device. All went, sort of, well. FOLLOW the instructions. Dimple ALL of the holes as the instructions indicate. I did not dimple the screw holes, had to dimple them with the screw head after I installed the nutplates. The access cover fits very well. The LEFT wing skins are on!

Time - 7 hours Total - 105.5 hours (Did not count the 2.5 hours for the wing cradle) Adam helped a lot with the cradle!!!