Thursday, September 25, 2008

Continuing with the Flaperon





Built the remaining 3 pivot bearing brackets from the supplied material. Took the suggestion of Jim Cone and used a slightly undersized drill to align the bracket in the drill press. Then bored the hole to a 1 inch depth using the correct drill size prior to tapping the hole in the bracket. Then I chucked the tap in the drill press and rotated the chuck by hand, applying a bit of downward pressure. This cut the first 4-5 threads. This ensured the tapped hole was 90 degrees to the material. Continued tapping the hole using the tap handle after removing the vise from the drill press. Building the 3 pivot bearing brackets took me about 3 hours. Still have to make the 30 degree cut in the four brackets. Steve Wyman on the VAF forum suggested that I do the following to make this cut...

"What I did Marty, was to go ahead and do the match drilling on the mounting holes for the part, and then screw the part on it's edge to a square block of hardwood. I then marked off the line I wanted to cut and used the bandsaw to remove most of the material. I then pushed it up against my 12" sanding disc and finished it to the final surface. Only then, did I remove it from the wood block."

Will use his suggestion.

Spent the remainder of the day doing the usual. Removing all of the machine marks and rounding all edges from the remainder of the flaperon ribs, spars and brackets. Renee and Adam Helped me run the spars thru the scotchbrite wheel. Still have to debur the flaperon skins. One more bracket and then ready for flaperon assembly.

Time - 3 hours for the brackets, 4 hours deburring Total - 7 hours