Saturday, April 4, 2009

Wiring Continues






Installed the 12VDC connector and the music harness. John Bender passed me this tip. Do not tighten the 2 ground connections near the 12VDC connector. The bolt/nut will be used for flight control installation a little later. Then started to look at the microphone and headset harness for the pilot and co-pilot.

The plans say the co-pilot harness is 1" longer than the pilot harness. I measured mine and the labeling on the cables was in accordance with this. (Page 31-10, Step 4). Yet my pilot harness has a couple of 3" wires that were most likely intended for the 1/8" jack to record audio. The plans say this should be on the co-pilot side. (I will not install the 1/8" jack and if the need ever arises, I will build an adapter w/ the 47K resistors.) So I am going to cut off the 3" wires on the pilot harness.

Also, cannot find the microphone jack stepped washer and the headphone jack ISOLATOR washer per Figure 1 on Page 31-10. They were not attached to the jacks that were supplied to me. Found out that they are backordered. As such, I left the installation of the mic/headphone jacks till later.

With regard to the stick PTT wiring, I performed Steps 2-5 on Page 32-05 before I installed the PTT switches, the associated wiring and sticks per Section 31. Hope the sticks are in there for good. This is most likely a good idea.

Read this post on a suggestion for boring the control stick.

I used Jim Cone's method to get a string thru the control sticks. A small piece of cotton on the end of heavy duty thread, and, then sucked it thru with the shop vacuum cleaner. Took a couple of tries. The bends are torture. Attached a piece of coated twine and pulled the twine via the thread. Then pulled the wires thru.

I have an awful lot of cable above the panel at this time. Hope there will be enough once I try to re-install the pedals. The plans tell us we may have to form the clamps below the firewall shelf into an oval shape. Have not tried it yet, but it will come here shortly.

Attached the female pins to the EFIS update cable wires and completed the DB-9 connector. The crimper from SteinAir worked very well. When attaching the DB pins, ensure the insulation is right next to the pin before crimping. You will get a much stronger connection.

Finished the day by priming and final painting the ELT attach bracket.

WITH the control sticks installed, I really want to HOP IN! A little more wiring and then have to wait for the back-ordered parts from Van's to finish the rest. Because I have been jumping around, will have to re-read and confirm all of the steps in the wiring section. From Step 1.

Time Today - 5 hours