Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fuel System Continues, Started Section 27, Rudder Pedals and Brake System





Called Van's Support this morning with my question on the return fuel line location. They could not really answer my question cause the finish kit drawings were not available. I made the last few bends assuming the return line was directly aft of the supply line. I hope my guess is correct. The 1/4" inch line will bend a bit by hand so it should be OK.

Cut the pads by cutting lengths of EA Hose and then bonded the fuel supply line with the fuel return line. I placed the first clamp from the pump side such that it was over the lightening hole in the baggage floor rib. This will most definitely provide some margin for any type of fuel line chafing to the lightening hole. Caution should be exercised when tightening the clamps. Do not crush the tubing!

Started Section 27, Rudder and Brake System. Saw the post on the VAF forum telling me to cut the long lengths of tubing, from the pedals to the wheel brakes FIRST. Otherwise, each of the 2 coils of tubing supplied will NOT be long enough to complete the job.

Separated the Rudder Pedal Blocks using the band saw. Drilled the brake pedals per the plans. Assembled all, but will not install to the fuselage. Will build the assembly on the bench and then install after the interior paint is complete. Consulted with a fellow builder and John confirmed my approach will work just fine.

Cannot say I am done with the fuel system until I get some more tubing from Van's and rebend the last piece from the fuel valve to the Flo-Scan sensor. Then I have to torque all of the fuel system fittings.

Time Today - 8 hours