Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tailcone is Complete




Completed riveting the tailcone. I am very satisfied with all of the skin overlap joints. The Cleaveland tool did a very good job. As I mentioned, I did not rivet the forward 7" of the J-stiffener. Can always do it later. As such, I am complete with this kit for now. Will complete Section 11, Empennage Attachment (mounting of the vertical and horizontal stab to the tailcone) and Section 12, Empennage Fairings (fiberglass fairing work) later, this will give me more storage options.

The fuselage which in currently in the spare bedroom is next. Will spend a day or so studying the plans and looking at the posts on the VAF forums. Also have to download and print the plans revisions from Van's website. Will take the flashdrive to Staples or Kinko's and have them printed on 11"x17" paper.

Took me 108 hours over the course of 23 working days to get the tailcone to this point, with Section 11 & 12 yet to do to totally complete the tailcone kit.

Time - 2.5 hours Total Empennage - 108 hours Wings (Complete) - 175 hours