Thursday, January 22, 2009

Started the Fuselage Kit - Section 20



Had a nice visit today with a fellow RV-12 builder from Jesup, IA. A few months ago we visited John and his wife Ann, and, today, he inspected my progress.

Started the fuselage after doing a bit of plan reading and looking at the other blogs. During my paper review, was stuck on Step 4, Page 20-03, that is, until I read and understood the entire step. This step tells you to machine countersink the F-1204 center section and THEN dimple the F-1204D center section aft bulkhead at the location of the AN426AD4 rivets. Because I did not read the entire step, I thought the step required me to machine countersink the aft bulkhead. Once I felt comfortable in understanding the section, assembly began.

Attached the four nutplates and the two retainer blocks.

Placed the bottom skin over a sheet of styrofoam taped to the workbench. The foam board allowed me to cleco the bottom flanges of the center section and the aft bulkhead and keep everything flat. The fit is nice and true. Will use the quick clamp as a guide to ensure I am drilling 90 degrees to the surface. Notes in the other blogs indicate this is important.

Lots of match drilling of the aft bulkhead to the center section on Friday. Then I have to deburr the edges of the aft bulkhead and the holes in both pieces.

Time - 2 hours