Thursday, March 19, 2009

Section 29 Continues




Mixed a small batch of fuel tank sealant this morning but I wish I had read ahead.

Applied the sealant and then attached the upper firewall. Attached the mid-cowl hinges and the side stiffeners.

I did NOT place a bead of the SPECIAL firewall sealant around the perimeter and in each of the rivets because I still have to order it. Van's still cannot ship it. Will do it later when the firewall sealant arrives.

Then prepped and attached nutplates to a multitude of parts. Step 5 on Page 29-04 could have been expanded to most likely 5 or 6 steps. READ it. Read it again, use your experience and then read it again. Do not forget to dimple the screw holes for the K1100-08 nutplates.

The reason I said I wish I had read ahead is another batch of fuel tank sealant is required in Step 13 on page 29-04. If I had prepared all of the parts thru Step 13 before sealing the upper firewall, only one batch of sealant would be required.

Time Today - 8 hours