Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sanding and More Micro



Spent about 4 hours yesterday sanding the filler. I think I removed 80-90% of it. Used a variety of flat blocks and formed the curve between the dash and the canopy with some sandpaper attached with spray adhesive to a 6 inch length of 3" PVC pipe. I tried to work slow and not remove too much of the filler. You want to be careful with the 3" PVC pipe because you can easily go too deep and form a valley.

I was able to determine where more sanding was needed by running my finger on the surface. Was able to detect much more this way, rather than relying on the eye.

All in all, the shape ended up well. But, even though I put this first layer of micro on quite thick, to avoid multiple layers of micro, another application will be necessary to fill some low spots and some pockets in the surface (maybe caused by some small air bubbles). Will circle the spots that need additional fill with a pencil and fill just those areas.

Filled the low areas today with micro. More sanding on Wednesday.

Time Yesterday and Today - 5 hours