Sunday, June 14, 2009

Canopy Continued - Microballoon Filler



Did a little more sanding on the fiberglass to remove the high areas and then scuffed the entire surface with corase grit sandpaper where I would be adding the filler to the areas that were low.

I first did the left side and then the right side.

Mixed a small amount resin/hardener and painted a very thin coat on the left side. Used a squeegee to remove all of the resin with the exception of a very thin layer. Mixed another batch of resin/hardener and added the microballons until I got the consistency of mayo. Used a popscicle stick and the squeegee, bending it as necessary, to apply the filler to the low spots on the left side. Repeated the process on the right side with separate batches of resin/hardener/micro.

I put the filler on relatively thick. Per Dan Horton on the VAF forums...."Better to apply too much than too little; adding more to thin spots later tends to result in uneven sanding density." (Differing amounts of microballoons give you differing hardnesses.)

As you can see from the pictures, I am far from being an auto body expert, but, I have been told that filler sands relatively easy. I hope so!! A lot of it will be coming off.

Sure looks like a real mess right now!!!!!

Time Today - 3 hours