Monday, February 23, 2009

Roll Bar Installed - But it Has to Come Off





Quite a bit of progress. Let me see if I can remember. Renee and I trial fitted the roll bar to the roll bar bases one more time. Took a width measurement. Removed the roll bar from the fuselage and took a measurement, IT CHANGED!!! It was 3/16" to 1/4" less. It had shifted inward. Based on the input from the forums, I decided to reattach the roll bar, take a final width measurement and then use a scrap piece of 2x2, acting as a spreader to ensure the width did not change after removal and as I riveted all of the pieces together. See the pictures.

I first riveted both sides of the roll bar to the roll bar plates, thinking that this would help maintain the width. Then clamped the assembly flat on the top of workbench. Read in the forums that warping had been an issue with at least one builder. When finished riveting, the width was perfect and there was no warping.

Was a bit difficult to cleco the roll bar to the base but got it done. Think I may have to touch drill some of these holes!! Reading ahead, all has to be disassembled for priming! Oh Well!!!!

UPDATE: Suggest painting the final color of the underside of the F-1254-L and R now with the color of your choice. I chose the canopy deck color. Also, it is time to paint the underside of the Mid Fuselage Brace.

Time Today - 8 hours