Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Control Column Brackets NOW Complete! Happy, Happy!!

I canceled my order for the new control column brackets. I reassembled the parts and I can move the bearing with finger pressure.

What I did was as follows. I put one coat of Marhyde primer on each of the surfaces after taping off the bearing recess. Let it cure overnight in a warm place. Then I cleco'ed all of the holes ensuring the bearing was correctly seated. Then put in/riveted the nine LP4-4 rivets removing one cleco at a time. Then what I think made the difference was what I read this morning on the forums. Ensured my countersinks were near perfect and symmetrical. Thanks JerryG! When I set the 4 AD4 rivets around the bearing, I squeezed them ever so slightly, attempting to even out any side force. Made about 5 passes. Thanks to Larry Geiger, John Peck and Mark Henderson on the VAF forums. IT WORKED!! Thank you for your assistance.

Time - 2 hours