Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Do You Believe I am into Final Paint






Yesterday, I visited John Bender in Jesup, IA. He is also building the 12 and is finished with the wings, tailcone and fuselage. I observed John painting the interior of his RV-12 and wanted to pick up a few tips. His project is marvelous!! The brown stone finish looks very good. Mine will be grey. When I got back home, finished the day by deburring a few parts.

Today, I am into FINAL paint. Decided to paint the roll bar, the roll bar brace and the roll bar brackets after visiting John.

Probably spent about 6 hours today on the project, there is a lot of waiting for the primer, top coat and clear coat to dry. (Read the instructions on the cans.)

I first match drilled the roll bar bases, then removed the roll bar from the bases and removed the bases. Sanded the exterior of the roll bar ensuring all rivets were flush with the top surface of the roll bar (do not want to scratch the rear window). Primed the roll bar bases with Marhyde. Built a couple of stands to hold the roll bar for paint. Got the paint I would need from WalMart. As my fuselage will be white and did not want any glare, I chose Marhyde primer, a flat white and a flat clearcoat over the base coat. Painted the roll bar, the roll bar brace and the roll bar brackets. My first paint experience. NO runs!! All will sit until the next day.

Time Today - 6 hours