Friday, May 1, 2009

Fuel Tank - Fuel Tank Sealant 1st Experience!!






UPDATE: Before starting the fuel tank ensure the fuel tank outlet strainer screws into its fitting. Found out during tank testing that my strainer would only screw into the fitting about 2 turns. See the picture on my May 17 entry. Going to have to find a way to correct this with it installed. 2 turns is NOT enough. Is EASIER to check it now!!

Started to assemble the fuel tank. Scotchbrited all of the mating surfaces with red scotchbrite. Section 5.0 tells you to score the mating pieces and do not be timid. So I did that. Cleaned the mating surfaces with naptha, per the instructions. Naptha can be found at Wal-Mart. It is COLEMAN stove fuel in the RV department. Its highly flammable - Be Careful! The plans tell you to hand pull all of the rivets.

Mixed the fuel sealant using a gram scale. 10:1 ratio. For this first batch I mixed 60 grams.

Lessons learned. A helper is useful here. Coat one of the surfaces with the goo. The pieces will slip around as you try to position them. The bottom slipped out of position on me. Had to disassemble and recoat the flanges with goo. Assemble with a few clecos. Dipping the rivets into the goo and then riveting the pieces is slow going. Get a helper to dip the rivets. And the stuff gets all over. Keep a supply of 6"x6" cloth pieces available and some lacquer thinner. You have to clean the HAND rivet puller and shake out the stem as you go.

I put some masking paper on the workbench, and I am so glad I did. Filled the holes in the corners with the goo and then ensured everything was sealed. Ran my gloved finger to smooth the outside.

Not the neatest, but should be OK. A helper, covering the workbench, gloves, and a lot of small cloth pieces are most beneficial.

My hands are only partially black. My clecos are soaking in lacquer thinner. Think I used about 15 pair of gloves for this session. Yuck.

Time Today - 4 hours