Thursday, December 18, 2008

Vertical Stab Skeleton Complete, Prep of the Skins




Yesterday I completed the vertical stabilizer skeleton. If you look at the pictures carefully, you will see I decided to prime the spar because I scratched the alclad quite a bit during the assembly process. Primed it with Marhyde. The other mating surfaces are primed with SW P60-G2. The instructions tell you to cover the holes where one should not rivet. Let me tell you, this is not a bad idea. Had to drill out two of the LP4-3 rivets because I did not take this advice. Today, I deburred both of the vertical stabilizer skins and riveted the nutplates to the skin which will allow attachment of the lower leading edge.

Before skinning, I am going to run a bolt or screw after coating with beolube into each of the nutplates to ensure I do not a problem with any of them (binding). Easy to replace them now, if necessary. The four nutplates on the spar would be nearly impossible to replace later.

Completion of the vertical stabilizer is scheduled for Friday. Then on to O'Hare to get my lovely daughter and her future husband.

UPDATE: From the VAF Forums

"I found another possible gotcha on page 06-04. Before you rivet the nut plates to the VS-1202 front spar (step 6.), be sure and final drill #12, the four holes in the VS-1202 front spar and the two corresponding holes in the front of the VS-1208 lower main rib that are for the AN3 bolts. The plans don't tell you to do this, but it is obvious that it should be done. I'm going to call VANS and bring it to their attention." Steve

Time - 5 hours